[TUHS] Early Linux and BSD (was: On the origins of Linux - "an academic question")

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jan 21 03:49:21 AEST 2020

Thanks Clem.

One minor clarification.  Jordan and the patchkit work did predate NetBSD.
However, the NetBSD project formed a little before the FreeBSD project that
grew out of the patchkit days. Jordan didn't get that moving until NetBSD
made rumblings... it was still a time that you heard a lot of what was
going on by word of mouth, not so much by postings and email...

The OpenBSD split was years later... and a complicated mix of personality
conflicts and technical differences. But in many ways it was a smaller
split since for a long time they were almost 100% compatible at the driver
level (something you could never really say about net and free).

Warner