[TUHS] Early Linux and BSD (was: On the origins of Linux - "an academic question")

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jan 21 05:00:45 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 12:49 PM Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Thanks Clem.

Most welcome

> One minor clarification.  Jordan and the patchkit work did predate NetBSD.
> However, the NetBSD project formed a little before the FreeBSD project that
> grew out of the patchkit days. Jordan didn't get that moving until NetBSD
> made rumblings...

Right - if I was not clear, on that ordering, mei culpa.

> it was still a time that you heard a lot of what was going on by word of
> mouth, not so much by postings and email...

Exactly.

> The OpenBSD split was years later... and a complicated mix of personality
> conflicts and technical differences.

A real shame IMO, but giving the personalities, I'm not sure it was not
predestined,

> But in many ways it was a smaller split since for a long time they were
> almost 100% compatible at the driver level

Very true, I run OpenBSD on my router/main server - I just want a minimum
system, that I feel it safe.
I have NetBSD on a couple of boxes cause it runs and FreeBSD or Linux on
others.   And MacOS on my desktop.

I'm sort of, whatever gets the job done and I don't have to think too much
about it, but it's probably why the little incompatibilities drive me nuts.