[TUHS] Apollo Domain/OS

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Wed Jan 22 07:52:59 AEST 2020

My understanding is that there’s a direct line from MULTICS to Prime to Apollo, in that Apollo was founded by former Prime folks who took their philosophy with them.

Apollo’s operating system (Aegis, Domain, Domain/OS) had a lot of good and interesting ideas and was quite influential despite the relatively small number of people who used it. A lot of what we take for granted today in distributed computing came via Apollo more than anywhere else, as Apollo users and alumni took what they learned to other systems.

  — Chris