[TUHS] VFS prior to 1984

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sun Jul 5 10:16:09 AEST 2020

On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 10:05:57AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2020, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> >>In the end, early NFS was notorious for putting 'holes' in the files
> >>because of the automatic seek in every operation and errors not coming
> >>until close(2) time.
> >
> >You have no idea how many of those holes that 16 bit SCCS checksum has
> >found (BitKeeper kept it).
>
> Aren't holes part of the file system semantics?

I'm not talking about legit holes, I'm talking about where your data used
be served up as a list of zeros.

The SCCS checksum is weak but kinda handy.  You could see single bit errors
with it (at least you could in BitKeeper).  It would say

checksum error: wanted %d, got %d

and you could look at the numbers and see that it was one bit off.

We found a bunch of those because computers used to be ECC or parity and
then 15 years ago or so, they just dumped the parity bit so single bit
errors go unreported (noice, computer industry).