[TUHS] VFS prior to 1984

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Jul 6 14:42:41 AEST 2020

On Sat, 4 Jul 2020, Larry McVoy wrote:

>> Aren't holes part of the file system semantics?
>
> I'm not talking about legit holes, I'm talking about where your data
> used be served up as a list of zeros.

Ah; my mistake...  Too much blood in my coffee stream.

> The SCCS checksum is weak but kinda handy.  You could see single bit
> errors with it (at least you could in BitKeeper).  [...]

I used to edit SCCS files if I stuffed up an update (and didn't want to
make another update); I discovered that if I zeroed the checksum then it
would be recalculated...  I have no idea what happened should the
"genuine" checksum turn out to be zero.

-- Dave