[TUHS] VFS prior to 1984

Chris Torek torek at torek.net
Tue Jul 7 02:51:27 AEST 2020

>On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 10:05:57AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>We found a bunch of those because computers used to be ECC or parity and
>then 15 years ago or so, they just dumped the parity bit so single bit
>errors go unreported (noice, computer industry).

To be fair, there are still some ECC systems.  Unfortunately most
of the home-use Intel boxes aren't.  My own home-use box isn't and
(now 6+ years ago) I had bad RAM in it that produced single-bit
errors in an inode block that led to panics that led to me finding
the single-bit errors, but I don't know if there are some damaged
files.

I keep thinking I'll replace it with a new box that does have ECC,
but haven't gotten around to it yet.  I see some consumer-priced
AMD CPUs have at least theoretical ECC support but I haven't found
anything that says the ECC actually works, and have seen a few
articles that hint that it doesn't.  iX sells NAS boxes that do
have ECC, though.

Chris