[TUHS] Linux is on-topic

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Sat Jul 18 06:08:35 AEST 2020

On 17 Jul 2020 12:57 -0700, from lm at mcvoy.com (Larry McVoy):
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 05:53:58AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>> I'm happy with it, you silly twisted boy, you.
>
> But +1 to Grant's point not to turn TUHS into a Linux support forum.
> Quite frankly, I'm old dude who relies on his kids to fix his phone
> and I can google and find answers to just about any Linux problem.
> So no need for that here.

I agree. For topicality, I think it's reasonable to draw the line
somewhere similar to what's already the case with the "true" unixes,
if I'm allowed to use such a designation. As a rule of thumb,
something along the lines of: if it's got a historical application
(say, "how do I get UUCP running on this Linux installation designed
to replicate a 1992 system?") then it's on topic; if it's solely about
modern systems ("how do I get Wayland running with my Nvidia GeForce
RTX 2060 Super?") then it's off topic.

So, really, no significant change there.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”