[TUHS] Linux is on-topic

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sat Jul 18 06:55:28 AEST 2020

On 7/17/20 2:08 PM, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> I agree. For topicality, I think it's reasonable to draw the line
> somewhere

Agree.

I use the following questions as a litmus test, requiring both to be true.

1)  Does it fall into the broad category of Unix or Unix like operating
systems?

2)  Is it old ~> historic?

I use the "historic car" definition as a guideline for how old "old" is.
  Specifically 25 years old, or older.

If both of those answers are "yes", then I figure that at worst, someone
might ask "please take this topic to COFF or elsewhere.

I figure that there's a little bit of wiggle room for other topics, but
would not be surprised if I needed to justify why it belongs on TUHS vs
COFF.  E.g. trying to resurrect an ancient protocol used by <bla>.

> similar to what's already the case with the "true" unixes, if I'm
> allowed to use such a designation.

Eh ... can I get something to wash that down?

I'm "okay" with such designations if you will back them up with a hard
definition of what qualifies or not.

> As a rule of thumb, something along the lines of: if it's got a
> historical application (say, "how do I get UUCP running on this
> Linux installation designed to replicate a 1992 system?") then it's
> on topic; if it's solely about modern systems ("how do I get Wayland
> running with my Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super?") then it's off topic.

ACK

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die