[TUHS] Linux is on-topic

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Sat Jul 18 07:28:48 AEST 2020

On 17 Jul 2020 14:55 -0600, from tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org (Grant Taylor via TUHS):
>> similar to what's already the case with the "true" unixes, if I'm
>> allowed to use such a designation.
>
> Eh ... can I get something to wash that down?
>
> I'm "okay" with such designations if you will back them up with a hard
> definition of what qualifies or not.

Well, that was sort of the point I tried to imply by my "if I'm
allowed to use such a designation". It's hard to define precisely.

For the moment, I think I'll go with "an operating system and
associated userspace toolset that traces an unbroken source code
lineage back to the original UNIX system". With the specific caveat
that my intent was to go _beyond_ that, by including Unix derivatives
such as Linux.

Which, by the way, and also meeting your "25 years old or older"
criteria, looks like it would also include every version (with the
possible exception of the last version or so; that was 1995-1996) of
A/UX.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”