[TUHS] Traditional method of dealing with embedded shar files

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Jul 25 04:57:26 AEST 2020

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 2:47 PM Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just getting comfortable using sed, thanks for the simplification.
>
> The issue with sed is that different shar programs used different
cut/here markers.  Using vi was safer and as I said, since you did not do
it everyday, it was no big deal.
Maybe since you have a number of these you want to apply, check with a grep
for the expected marker before you try to apply the sed script and only do
it in a more automated matter catching the vast majority of the markers.]

You asked how we did it.  As was said, there were a number of unshar(1)
commands out there, that did the sed for you.   Go looking in the archives,
but generally speaking using vi was 'good enough' for day to day work
because you did not run it that often / every day / were >>usually<< not
apply a lot of them in a row.

Clem