[TUHS] Traditional method of dealing with embedded shar files

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 05:21:31 AEST 2020

On 7/24/20 1:57 PM, Clem Cole wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 2:47 PM Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com
> <mailto:will.senn at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>>     I'm just getting comfortable using sed, thanks for the
>>     simplification.
>
> The issue with sed is that different shar programs used different
> cut/here markers. Using vi was safer and as I said, since you did not
> do it everyday, it was no big deal.
> Maybe since you have a number of these you want to apply, check with a
> grep for the expected marker before you try to apply the sed script
> and only do it in a more automated matter catching the vast majority
> of the markers.]
>
> You asked how we did it.  As was said, there were a number of
> unshar(1) commands out there, that did the sed for you.  Go looking in
> the archives, but generally speaking using vi was 'good enough' for
> day to day work because you did not run it that often / every day /
> were >>usually<< not apply a lot of them in a row.
>
> Clem
Yup, I was curious what it looked like in the day. After hearing from
everybody, I will use vi the first time and if I have to do it a bunch
of ties, will test a sed script... or just wait 'til Warner's done and
just check it from source code :).

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF