[TUHS] v7 tar and 2bsd.tar

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jul 28 13:20:31 AEST 2020

below..

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 11:02 PM Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/27/20 8:14 PM, Clem Cole wrote:
>
> on v7:  dd if=/dev/rrkN of=ucbtar bs=1        <-- this should pull the
> binary with the padded last block in
>
> ouch my screw up...  should be 1b

> Your instructions held up until I tried to read from the rk device -
> here's my attach:
>
> in simh:
> set rk0 rk05

att rk0 ucbtar

This is what I have:
; RK05 data disks (4 drives)...
;; SET RK ENABLE
SET RK0 WRITEENABLED
SET RK1 WRITEENABLED
SET RK2 WRITEENABLED
SET RK3 WRITEENABLED
SET RK4 DISABLED
SET RK5 DISABLED
SET RK6 DISABLED
SET RK7 DISABLED
ATTACH RK0 ./scratch.rk05
SHOW RK

> then in v7 the rk's aren't in /dev, so:

there is a makefile in /dev that creates them.  Take a look and see what
its doing.

looked in c.c, rk is major dev 0, and rrk is dev 9, so...
> /etc/mknod /dev/rk0 b 0 0
> /etc/mknod /dev/rrk0 c 9 0
> chmod 640 /dev/*rk*
>
> and
> dd if=/dev/rrk0 of=ucbtar bs=1

bs=1b   sorry -- my error, but I don't think that's the issue.
try this for grins:  dd if=/dev/rrk0 of=/dev/null bs=1b

cannot open: /dev/rrk0

Hmm... be good to see what the errno value is, i.e. why?
Maybe a small C program that tries to open /dev/rrk0 and prints out errno
on failure.