[TUHS] v7 tar and 2bsd.tar

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jul 28 23:50:25 AEST 2020

Glad it's working.   We probably need to create Joy's tarball in the future
with the same file ordering he used and get that the Warren.  The trick is
getting a v6tar that properly works.   Maybe one thing we should do is
write a tp format 'tape' with the v6tar binary on it and get that in the
archives independently.

When V7 came out, there was a way to create v6tar (which I suspect is
somehow part of Joy's image).  The issue is that some of the system calls
changed in small but important ways.   tar was a much better way to move
files around than tp which is why it so quickly became the archive scheme
in the Unix community.