[TUHS] Fwd: Origins and life of the pg pager

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Mon Jun 15 15:41:17 AEST 2020

Mary Ann Horton wrote:
> Eric Shienbrood at Berkeley wrote "more" around 1979, and it was the
> standard BSD pager. It was inspired by the --More-- option in the ITS
> terminal driver at MIT.

Daniel Halbert wrote to comp.society.folklore in 1994:

  "I was a first-year graduate student at UC Berkeley in 1978. I had
  been an undergraduate at MIT, and had used the ITS timesharing systems
  there, which ran on PDP-10's. ITS put a "--MORE--" at the bottom of
  the screen when one typed out files [..]

  So I wrote a simple "cr3"-like program, but had it print "--More--"
  instead of ringing the bell. I had it accept space instead of carriage
  return to continue, because that was what I was used to from ITS."

Wikipedia says "more" was written by Daniel Halbert and expanded by Eric
Shienbrood and Geoff Peck.