[TUHS] Command line options and complexity

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Mar 12 15:38:44 AEST 2020

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020, Steve Nickolas wrote:

> I felt -c and -u were meaningless, but that's because of the filesystems
> I usually work with that do not have functional equivalents.  -u for one
> is completely useless on VFAT even though it has such timestamps!
> YMMV.

I find those flags really useful when doing forensic analysis on a file
system :-)  One particular instance was at $ORKPLACE some years back when
a critical chunk of a file system had somehow disappeared overnight (it
was our source base!).  I got to work by comparing login sessions with
those someone-unknown "ls" flags and had just about nailed the perp who
was online at the time when I was ordered off it in no uncertain terms.

Ummm, did I mention that my then $BOSS had a habit of working from home
after a few (and quite a few) drinks?  As I said, I was this -><- far away
from fingering him...  As it stood I knew who it was but wasn't able to
prove it in time.

-- Dave