[TUHS] Command line options and complexity

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Thu Mar 12 16:48:07 AEST 2020

On 2020-Mar-11 20:53:12 -0400, Steve Nickolas <usotsuki at buric.co> wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Mar 2020, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> a better choice in removing options would be to remove -h and use a
>> filter to mutilate the sizes:
>>
>>  $ ls -l | humanize

How does humanize decide which column to work on?  If it only works on
"ls -l", then it's not useful if I want other columns as well.  Maybe
it could just humanize any large number it found, but you probably
don't want to "humanize" the inode number or filename.

>I felt -s was a redundant "kindasorta -l".

Except they are reporting completely different things - consider sparse
files or filesystems (like ZFS) that support compression.

--
Peter Jeremy