[TUHS] SDB debugger

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Sun May 3 06:16:06 AEST 2020

Thanks, all, for that input.

The ddt debugger appears to be a fork of 5th edition cdb. It survived in the Interdata 7/32 port:
https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=Interdata732/usr/source/chicago
It appears to have originated from Bill Allen at the Naval Postgraduate School.

Some more reading appears to show a much more gradual development than I first thought. Working along Doug’s list:

- First there was db, which claims to be loosely based on DEC’s ODT in its man page. Written in assembler.

- Then there is cdb, a rewrite in C, as from 3rd edition. Judging from the man pages, in 3rd and 4th edition it is a mostly incomplete project.

- The first reasonably complete version of cdb appears in 5th edition. It only handles “normal” symbols (see below for “normal”). The ddt debugger forks from this version, presumably to fill in some missing features (e.g. access to non-C identifiers, single stepping, etc.; I have not done a full feature comparison).

- In 6th edition “pseudo” symbols are introduced: symbols starting with a tilde that provide names for auto and register variables. The cdb debugger is updated to allow references to local variables using a “procname:varname” syntax. The ddt debugger picked this up as well. It is a first step towards the stabs format.

I would assume that db and cdb are the work of dmr/ken.

- In 7th edition there is the new adb, by Steve Bourne. Main focus of adb appears to have been portability more than major new features. Again, I have not compared the feature sets of ddt and adb to see if there was an influence.

- In 32V the symbol format is changed: (i) the “tilde hack” is replaced by a new assembler pseudo op “.stabs”; (ii) this is then used to include more pseudo symbols, for line numbers, for file names, etc.; (iii) the symbol struct is extended with a field to hold the symbol's type. It is essentially stabs, but with 8 char names. A new source level debugger, sdb, allows source level debugging. Its command language is the first to feel like a gdb ancestor. Author Howard Katseff.

The dbx debugger appears to stand on the shoulders of sdb, and gdb on the shoulders of dbx.

In 8th edition there are 3 debuggers: adb, sdb and pi (for use with the Blit).