[TUHS] SDB debugger

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Sun May 3 16:58:52 AEST 2020

Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> wrote:

> The dbx debugger appears to stand on the shoulders of sdb,
> and gdb on the shoulders of dbx.

I think this is a fair statement with respect to command languages
and how they work, but probably not w.r.t. shared code bases (a guess,
but particularly in the case of gdb I bet that would have been
written from scratch.)

This only makes sense, too. The user base's first source level
debugger would have been sdb.  Modelling dbx after sdb (to whatever
extent) makes it easier for users to pick it up.

Similarly, I remember moving from dbx to gdb; it was straightforward,
but also a big improvement in terms of the command line.

My two cents :-)

Arnold