[TUHS] SDB debugger

Henry Bent henry.r.bent at gmail.com
Mon May 4 03:06:54 AEST 2020

On Sun, 3 May 2020 at 12:53, Henry Bent <henry.r.bent at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 May 2020 at 12:14, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>

>> Paul W -- do you remember if DEC TLG did a version of dbx for Ultrix
>> (Leslie might remember)?  FWIW: I know that DEC had a number of different
>> debugger projects so on the UNIX side over the years, and I really don't
>> remember what was done for the VAX, as I was not there at the time.  By
>> MIPS/Alpha in the mid-late 90's there was a whole new debugger stream that
>> had been developed at part of GEM, but there was another one that came from
>> MIPs too which was based on dbx.
>>

> Perhaps unsurprisingly, as Ultrix 1 was basically just 4.2BSD with some
> tweaks/addons, dbx has been there since the beginning as /usr/ucb/dbx.  The
> binary in 1.1 has SCCS strings mostly dating it to '83 and the 2.0 source
> tree has dates that are mostly December '84.

Ultrix-32m 1.0 also has dbx, with dates no later than August '83.  These
dates mostly correspond to the 4.2 source tree on TUHS (
https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=4.2BSD/usr/src/ucb/dbx ) but
not exactly - the 4.2 tree has a newer object.c, implying that DEC was
getting early copies of 4.2.  The later fixes in Ultrix 1.1 also imply that
DEC was getting regular updates from UCB.

-Henry