[TUHS] v7 K&R C

Paul Winalski paul.winalski at gmail.com
Tue May 12 05:12:32 AEST 2020

On 5/11/20, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> C++ is an example in my mind of not listening to Dennis' words:
>
>    - “C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success.”

Ditto Fortran.

>    - “When I read commentary about suggestions for where C should go, I
>    often think back and give thanks that it wasn't developed under the
> advice
>    of a worldwide crowd.”

The old saying of an elephant being a mouse designed by committee comes to mind.

Language standards committees tend to be like a pack of dogs
contemplating a tree.  Each dog isn't satisfied with the tree until
he's peed on it.

>    - “A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier to program
>    in than some that do”

Big, comprehensive languages such as PL/I, Ada, and C++ tend to have
more of their share of toxic language features--things that shouldn't
be used if you want reliable, easily maintained and understood code.
Ada failed for two reasons:  [1] it had cooties because of its
military origins, and [2] it collapsed under the weight of all of its
features.

-Paul W.