[TUHS] v7 K&R C

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri May 15 08:32:02 AEST 2020

Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> It's got some perl goodness, regexps are part of the syntax, ....

I got into Unix after perl and I've used it a lot. Back in the 1990s I saw
Henry Spencer's joke that perl was the Swiss Army Chainsaw of Unix, as a
riff on lex being its Swiss Army Knife. I came to appreciate lex
regrettably late: lex makes it remarkably easy to chew through a huge pile
of text and feed the pieces to some library code written in C. I've been
using re2c recently (http://re2c.org/), which is differently weird than
lex, though it still uses YY in all its variable names. It's remarkable
how much newer lexer/parser generators can't escape from the user
interface of lex/yacc. Another YY example: http://www.hwaci.com/sw/lemon/

Tony.
Trafalgar: Cyclonic 6 to gale 8. Rough occasionally very rough in west and
south. Thundery showers. Good, occasionally poor.