[TUHS] v7 K&R C

Doug McIlroy doug at cs.dartmouth.edu
Tue May 19 12:29:34 AEST 2020

I should have checked my 7030 manual before asserting
that the 8-bit byte came from there. The term did,
but it meant an addressable unit of 1 to 8 bits
depending on the instruction being executed.

[The machine was addressable to the bit. It also
had all 16 bitwise logical operators, and
maintained counts of the 1 bits and leading
0 bits in a register. And it was BIG. I saw
one with 17 memory boxes (each essentially
identical with the total memory of a 7090)
stretched across the immaculate hardwood
floor of IBM's Poughkeepsie plant.]

Doug