[TUHS] History of popularity of C

Thomas Paulsen thomas.paulsen at firemail.de
Thu May 28 02:11:33 AEST 2020

>The large areas of undefined and unspecified behavior has always been an
>issue in C.   It was somewhat acceptable when you were using it as a direct
>replacement for assembler, but Java and many of other follow-ons endevaored
>to be more portable/rigourous.

One cannot compare system and business related stuff!

When I'm doing C I always have the CPU and its instructions in mind. As Linus I
see the assembly code in my inner eyes. For such minds, doing with C what earlier
was done with assembly, C was created, whereas writing business applications
cobol and its modern relative java  are the first choices.