[TUHS] Lions notes, early history

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Nov 3 07:17:29 AEST 2020

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> Warner Losh and I have been discussing the early history of John Lions'
> "A commentary on the Sixth Edition UNIX Operating System". I've been
> hosting Warren Toomey's version (with some correction of scan errors) at
> http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/Lions/ for some years now, and
> my understanding had been that the book hadn't been published, just
> photocopied, until Warren posted it on alt.folklore.computers in 1994.
> But now it seems that the "book" had been published by UNSW when Lions
> held the course, and only later was the license revoked.  Does anybody
> have any insights?  What restrictions were there on its distribution?
> What was the format? Was it a real book, or just bound notes?

Nroff, in bound notes at the time; it did not come out in book format
until later (I suppose that it depends upon your definition of "book" vs.
"bound notes"...  I was involved in it (you'll see my name in the
credits).

I helped to proof-read it, and I lent him our LA-100 for the draft copy.

He was one of the best Comp Sci lecturers that I ever had, along with Ken
Robinson (no longer with us) and Graham McMahon (ditto).

-- Dave