[TUHS] The Elements Of Style: UNIX As Literature

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Sat Nov 7 08:12:23 AEST 2020

On 11/6/20, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> It's also why I'm fine with smaller screens, I tried the giant apple
> displays and found that those required head movement along with eye
> movement.

Exactly.  I never understood all the fuss about those huge LCD screens
in front of your eyes.  A few years ago I used a real VT220 (12" in
size) for my daily job in the office and it was perfect for command
line work.

At home I use a lot of Digital text terminals and PC DOS era CRT
monitors and they are really great for what they were made for.  Text
mode can't get any better than 720x400 on 14" CRT monitor.  For
graphical mode I still love 640x480 -- everything is big enough for
me.  The 70s, 80s and 90s got a lot of things right.  The introduction
of widescreen LCD monitors around 2007 ruined a lot of things.

And of course the 80 columns output is the only right choice.  It
especially makes sense if you are still using text mode only CRT
monitors, like I do.

--Andy