[TUHS] The Elements Of Style: UNIX As Literature

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Nov 7 08:23:02 AEST 2020

On Fri, Nov 06, 2020 at 11:12:23PM +0100, Andy Kosela wrote:
> The 70s, 80s and 90s got a lot of things right.  The introduction
> of widescreen LCD monitors around 2007 ruined a lot of things.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of going wider.  I'm bucking the old school trend
and typing on an 80x44 terminal which is as tall as I can go on my X1
Carbon.  It's big enough.

For me, taller is more useful than wider, provided I can get about 162
columns so I can do side by side diffs.  More than that doesn't do much
for me.

But I'm pretty old school, I write in C, I debug a lot with printf and
asserts, I'm kind of a dinosaur.  In the last year or so I reconnected
with Kirk and Eric and much to my surprise, and pleasure, I found that
Eric and I see things very similarly, I'd be happy to work with/for that
guy, we really agree.

One thing I will say about big monitors is they are great for photos.
I do a lot of digital photography and have no desire to go back to
black & white or CRT terminals.