[TUHS] 516-TSS Documents

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Mon Nov 23 16:41:57 AEST 2020

Dennis Boone writes:
>  > 516-TSS is a little-known but groundbreaking and influential
>  > operating system that was developed at Bell Telephone Laboratories.
>
> Can you put any dates to the creation / development of this system?
> Even some estimate of its maturity when you first saw it would be of
> interest.
>
> There was a timeshared os for the Series 16 developed by a group at Tech
> Square, I think the NASA center that was there, late '60s.  It involved
> some custom memory mapping hardware.  The os became the basis of Prime's
> offering in the early 70s.
>
> De

This was also late 60s as far as I know.  The documents are dated, and the
first one is in June 1968.

It was a fully functional system when I first started using it.  Heinz may
be able to say more about it if he remembers.

In many respects it wasn't a hugely interesting system in itself as much
as it was a platform for the development of many other interesting
technologies.

Jon