[TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?

jason-tuhs at shalott.net jason-tuhs at shalott.net
Fri Nov 27 09:22:56 AEST 2020

> So, I'm about to get my very own Apple IIe and while it's an incredibly
> versatile machine for assembly language and hardware hackery, I'm not
> aware of any Unices that run on the machine, natively. Does anybody know
> of any from back in the day?

I don't think there are any for the 8-bit Apple IIs, but for the 16-bit
Apple IIgs, there's GNO/ME unix: http://www.gno.org/gno/

I actually ran this on my IIgs; it was cute, and quite usable considering
the limitations of the hardware.  I don't know anything about its
provenance, though.

Anyone else run GNO/ME?  Anyone know if it was based on some previous
source base or distribution?  Or know the folks behind it?

  -Jason