[TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Fri Nov 27 13:16:52 AEST 2020

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020, Clem Cole wrote:

> My favorite 8-bit processor, maybe my favorite all around.

Ditto.

<snip>

> Running a full UNIX on it was not really possible although a few of the
> Unix style utilities were moved to it and a number of simple monitors were
> written that swapped programs in and out DOS style.   At one time, I had a
> fairly good version of the Bourne (V7) syntax shell we got running, but it
> had to be swapped in and out slowly.  That is; you run the shell, type a
> command, when exec is done, the shell is tossed out and the new program
> installed in memory.

One would have better luck with the Apple IIgs except I don't think
there's a good free C compiler for 65816.  There's GNO which is very BSD,
but obviously cut back for the necessity of running on top of GS/OS (and
the shell is written in asm, it's not a true Bourne shell AFAIK).

-uso.