[TUHS] Fwd: Choice of Unix for 11/03 and 11/23+ Systems

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Sep 23 01:59:43 AEST 2020

    > From: Paul Riley

    > In the bootable images archive, there's the "Unknown V6" RL02
    > image. I've tried that on SimH configured as an 11/23+ with 256kB of RAM
    > and it seems to work fine.

Sorry, where's this archive? Somewhere in:

  https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/Research/

I assume? From the description, that might be from the 'Shoppa disks'; didn't
realize that was a /23 on those.

    > I would assume that Ethernet boards are available, but not supported on
    > V6.

V6, as distributed, had no networking at all. There are two V6 systems with
networking in TUHS:

  https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC
  https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=BBN-V6

The first is an 'NCP' Unix (unless unless you have an ARPANet); the second is
a fairly early TCP/IP from BBN (ditto, out of the box; although one could write
an Ethernet driver for it).

There's also a fairly nice Internet-capable V6 (well, PWB1, actually) from MIT
which I keep meaning to upload; it includes SMTP, FTP, etc, etc. I also have
visions of porting an ARP I wrote to it, and bringing up an Ethernet driver
for the DEQNA/DELQA, but I've yet to get to any of that.

    > it's hard to glean that wisdom from reading the manual.

Yeah, DEC manuals went through a phase-change around about the time of the
/23.  Old DEC manuals are wonderful; stuffed to the gills with deep technical
details. Suitable for engineers...

Later, they turned into manuals for 'ordinary people' - 'plug cable C1 into
plug P1'. Semi-useless; although one can often glean a few useful morsels if
you trawl through the entire thing.

That's why I've been doing PDP-11 pages on the CHWiki which attempt to cover a
lot of technical detail, in a high technical content/size way.

If you need something that's not there, let me know, and I'll get to adding it.

   Noel