[TUHS] Fwd: Choice of Unix for 11/03 and 11/23+ Systems

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Sep 23 07:36:11 AEST 2020

    > If you want multiple users on an -11/03, Mini-Unix would be an option;
    > zit doesn't support the -11/03 'out of the box', but looking at it, it
    > shouldn't be too hard. (Heinz mentioned that it had been done before.)

On thinking about it, I might do the -11/03 port of Mini-Unix for the hack
value; it looks like it should be a quick project (a couple of hours, much of
which would be getting Mini-Unix set up; I'd use a simulator, my QBUS RK11
emulator is broken at the moment).

I think it should mostly just be some fairly straight-forward changes to
mch.s; I think all the C code would be fine. (Unless there's an 'PS->integ' or
something hiding somewhere.) Also a few odds and ends, like a software console
switch register (been there, done that).

That would make the full power of Mini-Unix available to people with -11/03's;
those are still fairly common, and reasonably cheap. (Unlike -11/05's.) It's a
considerably more capable system than LSX: e.g. the tty driver is the full V6
one, and supports an arbitrary number of devices.

So my question is: had anyone else already done this (I don't want to waste
time replicating already-done work)? Also, would anyone have a use for it if I
did it? If so, I'll put it up on a Web page when I'm done. (No, I _don't_ use
Guthub, and have zero interest in learning how. I'd rather spend my remaining
un-comitted neurons improving my ability to read feudal Japanese.)

	Noel