[TUHS] PC Unix (had been How to Kill a Technical Conference

Charles H Sauer sauer at technologists.com
Wed Apr 7 06:47:35 AEST 2021

To try to answer Josh's questions:
- I used the machine from console, certainly pre-VGA, probably CGA
- I don't recall anyone else using it directly
- The primary purpose was uucp for mail and news, dialing into machines
at UT-Austin
- I can't imagine having anything on it besides what was needed for mail
and news
- my primary focus was AIX at the time, but hardware for AIX was scarce
(https://notes.technologists.com/notes/2017/03/08/lets-start-at-the-very-beginning-801-romp-rtpc-aix-versions/)
-- after I got an RT in my office, and, eventually, at home, the Xenix
machine persisted for uucp, IIRC
- my memory was that the AT & Xenix were ok for the intended purpose
- I remember a friend questioning whether the AT was really adequate for
9600 baud uucp, but I don't recall having problems with that
- it looks like someone kept it in place after I left IBM in 1989, since
http://web.mit.edu/kolya/sipb/afs/root.afs/athena.mit.edu/reference/net-directory/maps/uucp.bak/u.usa.tx.4
lists it in 1991

Charlie

voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/
Facebook/Google/Skype/Twitter: CharlesHSauer