[TUHS] (no printed copy) (was (no subject))

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu Apr 8 16:14:57 AEST 2021

On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 03:32:20PM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2021, Norman Wilson wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure why people, even in a group devoted to history like
> >ours, focus so much on whether a journal is issued in print or
> >only electronically.  The latter has become more and more common.
>
> Well, curling up in bed with a good PDF just doesn't quite feel the
> same...  It's also handy in a waiting room (no battery to go flat
> and not having to rely upon a WiFi connection) and also when waiting
> for the local bus.

Curling up in bed with e-ink based reader and pdf can be better than
curling up with 2kg-worth of hard book. I know, I do it.

As a huge fan of nonkindle reader, I have sdcard slot and do not have
to connect it at all. Batteries used to last at least a month. This
display type is really low power. I have recently bought a colored
e-ink reader, I charged it up about 35-45 days ago, read for at least
ten hours a week, and batt meter shows 40% (chances are, it is not
calibrated yet, I am still to discharge it to the end). As of colours,
this feels really like working prototype, they claim 4096 colors which
probably means 256 colors on "colored look-through display" times 16
shades of grey on classic e-ink display underneath. So, color is just
to spice it up a bit but not very useful at the moment... Albeit it
depends on content. Art photo no, sci articles maybe. They should come
to 65k one day, then I will be happier.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola, who lives in self made hell with walls of unread