[TUHS] SUN (Stanford University Network) was PC Unix

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Apr 10 00:41:02 AEST 2021

    > From: Jason Stevens

    > apparently cisco used them as well but 'borrowed' someone's RTOS design
    > as the basis for IOS? There was some lawsuit and Stanford got cisco
    > network gear for years for free but they couldn't take stock for some
    > reason?

I don't know the whole story, but there was some kind of scandal; I vaguely
recall stories about 'missing' tapes being 'found' under the machine room
raised floor...

The base software for the Cisco multi-protocol router was code done by William
(Bill) Yeager at Stanford (it handled IP and PUP); I have a vgue memory that
his initially ran on PDP-11's, like mine. (I think their use of that code was
part of the scandal, but I've forgotten the details.)

    > From: Tom Lyon

    > the design ... relied on CAD tools only extant on the Stanford PDP-10.

Sounds like SUDS?

	Noel