[TUHS] SUN (Stanford University Network) was PC Unix

Earl Baugh earl.baugh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 11:30:46 AEST 2021

Thanks for clarifying that!! I should have said “I believe it might not have had. I wasn’t quite sure what the problem was which caused the issue.  I had in my notes that something would prevent implementing virtual memory ( and that the person thought it might be a missing MMU ).  I should have relayed that more accurately.    Always appreciate clarifying and better info.

I’ll also add the Ubisoft note.  I have some copies of a few of the earlier releases but I don’t think the tar files have a company name on them.   I’ve not unpacked them yet.

Does anyone have any source that has a better “how many Sun 1’s were made” number?  I have a few sources that say “maybe 300” and “maybe 400” and “maybe 600”.   Obviously that’s not very exact. :-) The serial numbers bounce around ( from the units I’ve identified ) and it’s not clear they started at 1... some info says there was some arbitrary number that they started at.  And that chunks of numbers might have been skipped.  I’ve just not been able to find a more definitive or more trustworthy source.

( though I haven’t seen if old stock info filings might have more info - but I’m thinking those would have been after the fact, time wise )

Earl

Sent from my iPhone