[TUHS] reviving a bit of WWB

Niklas Karlsson nikke.karlsson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 06:13:05 AEST 2021

According to Wikipedia:

The first modern, electronic ternary computer, Setun
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setun>, was built in 1958 in the Soviet
Union at the Moscow State University
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_State_University> by Nikolay
Brusentsov <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolay_Brusentsov>,[4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_computer#cite_note-cmr-4>[5]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_computer#cite_note-5> and it had
notable advantages over the binary
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_numeral_system> computers that
eventually replaced it, such as lower electricity consumption and lower
production cost.[4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_computer#cite_note-cmr-4> In 1970
Brusentsov built an enhanced version of the computer, which he called
Setun-70.[4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_computer#cite_note-cmr-4> In the
United States, the ternary computing emulator Ternac
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternac> working on a binary machine was
developed in 1973.[6]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_computer#cite_note-comp1974-6>:22

The ternary computer QTC-1 was developed in Canada.[7]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_computer#cite_note-7>
Doesn't seem like they caught on otherwise, though.

Niklas