[TUHS] reviving a bit of WWB

Tom Lyon pugs at ieee.org
Thu Feb 4 09:46:20 AEST 2021

System/360s, or at least 370s, could do ASCII perfectly well.

When we started UNIX on VM/370, it was clear to us that we wanted to run
with ASCII.  But some otherwise intelligent people told us that it *just
couldn't be done* - the instructions depended on EBCDIC.
But I think there was only 1 machine instruction with any hint of EBCDIC -
and it was an instruction that no-one could imagine being used by a
compiler,

Of course, plenty of EBCDIC/ASCII conversions went on in drivers, etc, but
that was easy.

--
- Tom