[TUHS] Fwd: [multicians] History of C (with Multics reference)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Feb 17 13:49:01 AEST 2021

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 1:32 AM John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:

> There was clearly a lot of cross-fertilization between early APL systems
> and Bon.  (APL was the first computer language I dug deeply into.)  Some
> of the common elements are the interactive execution environment,
> untyped variables, and automatic application of builtin functions (like
> +) across all elements of arrays.

In particular, doing gotos by assigning to a variable is very old-school
APL.

Is a chair finely made tragic or comic? Is the portrait of Mona Lisa
good if I desire to see it? Is the bust of Sir Philip Crampton lyrical,
epical or dramatic?  If a man hacking in fury at a block of wood make
there an image of a cow, is that image a work of art? If not, why not?
                --Stephen Dedalus