[TUHS] Question

Rudi Blom rudi.j.blom at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 14:36:01 AEST 2021

The spell check in 'cd' commands I remember from SCO UNIX 3.2

The 'sh' manual page has
    Spelling checker

    When using cd(C) the shell checks spelling. For example, if you change to
    a different directory using cd and misspell the directory name, the shell
    responds with an alternative spelling of an existing directory. Enter
    ``y'' and press <Return> (or just press <Return>) to change to the
    offered directory.  If the offered spelling is incorrect, enter ``n'',
    then retype the command line.  In this example the sh(C) response is
    boldfaced:

       $ cd /usr/spol/uucp
       cd /usr/spool/uucp?y
       ok

Cheers,
uncle rubl

>Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 02:08:09 -0700
>From: arnold at skeeve.com
>To: m.douglas.mcilroy at dartmouth.edu, egbegb2 at gmail.com
>Cc: tuhs at tuhs.org
>Subject: Re: [TUHS] Question
>
>The spelling corrector in the shell rings vague bell. I think
>it's in the 8th or 9th edition Bourne shell. You should be able to
>find those in the archives.
>
>Geoff Collyer has a modern port of the V9 shell at
>http://www.collyer.net/who/geoff/v9sh.tar.
>
>HTH,
.>