[TUHS] Question

Norman Wilson norman at oclsc.org
Sat Jan 9 18:39:16 AEST 2021

Rob Pike, re the spelling corrector in V8 and later Research
versions of sh:

> That was done by Tom Duff, I believe before he came to Bell Labs. I might
> have brought the idea with me from Toronto.

Very likely, since you left it behind at Caltech as well; it was
in sh on cithep (a hostname meaningless to many but rob will remember)
when I arrived in 1980.

It was in the version of p you left behind there as well.

I can confirm that spname remained in the shell through V10
(it's still in my copy), but it seems to have disappeared from p.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON