[TUHS] Favorite unix design principles?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Jan 31 07:42:56 AEST 2021

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021, Clem Cole wrote:

> Look I grew up with a 256K byte RAM Unix V6 system on an 11/34, 3 RK05s
> and an RK07 for storage.  We swapped.  Yeah, I never ran a window
> manager, but he had a number of 9600K terminals on DH11's and we were
> happy.  You could see it swapping like mad, but that system never
> crashed.  It just ran and ran and ran.

You had *three* RK05s, an RK07, *and* a DH11?  We had just two, and a
crappy DJ-11 on our /40s.  Pretty much stable; any bugs were fixed on the
spot because we had the source code after all.

(They were configured that way to run RSX-11D, then that issue of the BSTJ
appeared; the rest is history.)

-- Dave