[TUHS] FreeBSD behind the times? (was: Favorite unix design principles?)

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Sun Jan 31 10:39:10 AEST 2021

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> But I hope that you're not advocating the "change your GUI with your
> underwear" attitude that Microsoft, Apple and many Linux distros
> have.  One of the reasons I don't use Linux is because every time I
> try, the interface has changed.

I'm still using the same GUI I've used for the last decade, although its
name changed.

Personally, I think a lot of Linux people who haven't come from a Unix
background don't understand Linux, because they don't understand Unix. And
because they don't understand Linux, they're trying to mutilate it into
being something other than what it was meant to be.

I thought of creating a system built on top of Linux that represented the
system as I visualized it.  And I've come a fair way, but I don't yet have
the important parts (the ability to self-host, including a working kernel,
C compiler and libc) up and running, but there's pretty much your basic
stuff in /bin, /usr/bin etc., and there's a curses library, and there's ed
and vi (more or less)...so once those are available there'll be enough to
get the rest of it functional.  Of course, as I visualized it will seem
remarkably antiquated to most people!

-uso.