[TUHS] First machine to run rogue?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Jul 2 23:04:47 AEST 2021

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 7:40 AM <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:

> Is the rogue source extant?

Yes -- but ...

> ISTR that rogue only came as a binary, there was no source.

That was true at first, certainly the original binary was passed around.
It might have been an early net.noise  pass around, but ISTR for Tektronix
on V7 I got the binary from someone at UCB directly -- Mark Bales, maybe,
who was a UCB doing a summer Internship and he may have brought them with
him.

The sources were later released as part of a CSRG release in the post 4.2
timeframe ??reno/tahoe I think??, but by then the binary for the Vax was
pretty popular and the sources had begun to sneak out - as I know I had
them at Masscomp and Sun had them too.  Paul Cantrell (of video teco fame)
created a color version of it and IIRC may have added some other graphics
when running on a Masscomp tube.
ᐧ