[TUHS] tabs vs spaces - entab, detab

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Sun Mar 7 07:01:14 AEST 2021

Dave Horsfall writes:
> That said, I also have the view that if your code needs to be indented so
> much then it probably ought to be split out into functions; there's that
> old aphorism about a single page of code...

I prefer the aphorism of splitting code out into functions if and
only if it improves readability for people who didn't write the code.

The trouble that I have with many coding ideologies is that it seems
like the goal is some slavish adherence to a rule set instead of
improving readability.

I've coined (at least I think I did) the phrase "meatspace locality of
reference" for talking about this sort of thing.  People go through
great pains to keep executing code "on the same page", for efficiency
but take the opposite approach when making code for people instead of
machines.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Jon