[TUHS] tabs vs spaces - entab, detab

Earl Baugh earl.baugh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 13:10:42 AEST 2021

One of the times I was lucky enough to be able to hire and set up what I thought would be the place I’d want to work (  design and code ), at the beginning I did the best I could to solve the “religious” code issues, tool issues, etc.

Code Formatting wise — we came up with a “checked-in-standard”.  All code went thru a code formatter when checking in.   When it came out, we build a couple templates that translated to formats for things that different folks wanted ( and gave folks the option of tweaking their own ).  They could use the default ( I did ).   Any thing was fair game, as long as it got checked in “in the checked in standard”.   We also came up with a set of rules for complexity, nesting.   The entire team actually was able to come to agreement — if your code didn’t violated the limit of minor or misc things ( critical and major things had to be addressed ) it was fine. We set a limit of 1000 for minor and I think 5000 for misc.    I was surprised how far from the standard stuff looked on various folks workstations but during code reviews we had a “common language format” we all could read without much fuss.

We did go with a line length of <132 so if necessary we could print stuff out landscape.

Tool wise, if it got in the way more than 50% it was gone and we’d find a new one.   Preference was for every editor, etc. to have at least two users on the team. ( so you’d have someone to ask questions of ) And you could use an IDE as long as code had standard makefiles when checked in.

Surprisingly this worked out quite well with a team of around 20...

Earl

Sent from my iPhone