[TUHS] Fred Grampp

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Wed Mar 17 13:46:31 AEST 2021

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 06:46:42PM -0400, Brian Walden wrote:
[...]
> Which had no information on Topper, but had had this paragraph in it's Singer
> section on page 28 --
>
>     Boys earned money "rushing the growler" at lunchtime at the Singer plant.
>     German workers lowered their covered beer pails, called growlers, on ropes
>     to the boys waiting below. They earned a nickel by filling them with beer
>     at Grampp's saloon on Trumbull St. One of these boys was Thomas Dunn who
>     later became a long term Mayor. In the early 1920s Frederick Grampp went
>     into the hardware business at the corner of Elizabeth Ave. and Reid St.

Wow, what a find, really.

I suppose the move from saloon business onto the hardware business was
caused by Prohibition? Interesting side-effect.

    "Prohibition in the United States was a nationwide constitutional
    ban on the production, importation, transportation, and sale of
    alcoholic beverages from 1920 to 1933."

    [

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States

    ]