[TUHS] Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Mar 18 07:38:46 AEST 2021

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 02:04:36PM -0700, Al Kossow wrote:
> > hey it's 1988 already
> >mail without Internet is pretty useless
>
> And Usenet was tin cans and a string.

Usenet was awesome when it was really small.  Almost everyone connected
was an academic or some sort of scientist.  I could post a question in
pretty much any discipline and wake up to an answer from someone smart.

I tried to get my dad to see it and uttered the fatal words:

"Usenet is so cool, I wish everyone was on it."

Yep, I'm the guy that ruined Usenet :-)  I'm not, but I got my wish
and learned quantity is not the same as quality.  I was pretty dumb
back in the day.

--lm