[TUHS] XENIX or UNIX? (was: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!)

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Thu Mar 18 11:21:26 AEST 2021

System V and Xenix both came out of System III and it had X25
networks, JANET. Albeit indirectly, via something like an RT-11
frontend. System III had real limittions on the compiler. It was a
nightmare using code which came from systems which had larger address
space, a larger "heap" for CPP #defines (ok heap maybe isn't the word,
but you know what I mean) -even down to split I/D stuff, it was just
nasty.

I think Xenix was a bit of a half-way bet. They didn't invest. No
reason it couldn't have become something bigger, HP-UX did. Shame, I
think that should have died at birth.