[TUHS] How to use V5 UNIX?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu May 6 05:02:53 AEST 2021

The only thing I would add is to find yourself a copy of Lion's book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lions%27_Commentary_on_UNIX_6th_Edition,_with_Source_Code

You can get a nicely bound version inexpensively from Amazon,
although there are PDFs in the wild too.    Like, others I would suggest
starting with Sixth Edition if you want to follow John.  The biggest
advantage of Seventh besides having more complete toolchains is that the
compiler matches K&R Version 1, so you are likely to have fewer issues, you
will already be giving up ANSI (as described in K&R2).  I started with
Fifth years ago in the early/mid-1970s but quickly got Sixth's so I have
little memory of it.  I have played with it on simh since frankly, the
differences between 5 and 6 are not going to be huge from a learning
standpoint.
ᐧ