[TUHS] AIX/SMIT (was Book Recommendation)

Greg A. Woods woods at robohack.ca
Sat Nov 27 05:49:40 AEST 2021

At Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:02:25 -0800, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Book Recommendation

> HP was much better than AIX, you could ignore their admin crud and
> just edit the /etc files and stuff worked.  With AIX, I never figured
> out how to not use SMIT, it was pretty intertwined with everything.

SMIT was really just a front end to the underlying commands and the
files they edited; and as such a useful agent to help one figure out the
IBM way of things.  Under the hood it was all command-line and files and
databases, and SMIT could be configured to tell you exactly what it was
doing, and once you learned what to do you could easily avoid it
entirely.  It was basically created so that the office manager could
also be the system manager.

AIX though was like a lot of more enterprisy Unixes -- too much Not
Invented Here Syndrome affecting their additions to the basic system,
and as a result everything beyond what we now call POSIX was unique to
it.

--
					Greg A. Woods <gwoods at acm.org>

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>